What can MotoGP do?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tortuga, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

After watching the Moto2 race with 40 bikes on track, passes in every turn on every lap, and very close racing then sitting through the snoozer that was MotoGP (with the exception of the last lap dash for 4th) I could not help, but wonder;
    What can be changed in order for MotoGP to be exciting again?

- Remove all electronic driver aids?
    - Encourage OEM's to supply engines to teams with prototype chassis?
    - what?

It is both frustrating and sad to see racing at the highest level of the sport become so incredibly lame. The large gaps between podium finishers and pathetic grid sizes have reduced what was once the most exciting race class on Earth to little more than a long parade. Even the announcers were struggling to find something worth remarking about.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

f1 has the same issue, its not easy to solve, unless you make it NASBike like Moto2 is

3. tikki50

tikki50 Well-Known Member

well just having more bikes on the grid can't hurt.

Perhaps Honda can replicate the midget and we'd have 20 pedrobots all racing.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

put more R1s on the grid! :D

5. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I would jizz in my pants if they got rid of the electronic aids.

6. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

amen. that's why i said it in the other thread. WSBK is so much more exciting to watch. way more potential winners, bikes more evenly matched, tighter and more exciting tracks (not so many Tilke bullshit tracks). i think driver aids like TC at the highest level of racing is also retarded. you're supposed to be a master of your skill, the best of the best... all this shit does is allow people to be fast who normally wouldn't be, OR rather normally would make a ton of mistakes because they're not refined.

7. Penal Code

Penal Code Banned

I think the riders would shit in their pants for the same reason. :wow:

8. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

so would Dr. Ting.

9. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I was watching some racing from back in 1991 the other day. And wow, without all the electronics it was so much more fun to watch.

Rossi has said many times he wants the electronics gone.

10. divein6

divein6 Well-Known Member

Go back to 1ks, and I am not against traction control either. It’s the highest form of racing and should use the highest form of equipment. I think the 800CC was a stupid idea all together. It puts way more emphasis on getting the most out of a motor. While I don’t know shit from shit, I kinda think its and cheaper and easier to attain higher HP numbers with a 1k then with a 800.

11. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

The 1Ks are coming back.

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Bring back the 2 Smokes!!!

13. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

they just need more guys on the grid on competitive machinery in order for the racing to be exciting again. as far as the electronic aids- i don't think they should get rid of them, or else half the grid wouldn't make it to the last round. oh, and rossi...

14. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

Obviously, they need more bikes, more teams, more riders, etc. The question is; how?

Seems that every rule change that has been made in MotoGP has had the opposite of the intended effect.
    The 800's were more expensive and faster, the tire rule was ineffective, more electronics have made the bikes even more complicated and done nothing to improve the racing, etc.

So how to get more bikes on the grid?

If they don't figure something out soon the "premier class" will be eclipsed by Moto2 in popularity just as it has been by WSBK.

15. burner42

burner42 Well-Known Member

I guess the rationale is by bringing back 1000s there will be a cheaper operating expense for the teams and that will equate to bigger grids and closer racing... I hope it works. I was fighting off sleep for the last 20 minutes of the race too...

16. rob748

rob748 Well-Known Member

change

1st change
    min weight should be rider + bike combined

17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Maybe an index say bike + 80% of rider weight for the minimum weight. You don't want the larger rider to be at an advantage either. The next thing will be when you weigh the bike / rider? I guess after the race would be good, but that gives the team / rider no time to adjust. I guess smarter people than I am will have to work that all out.

18. caferace

caferace No.

What he's actually said is that he think they should be reduced. I'd be curious to hear his opinion now....

-jim

19. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

and Le Mans starts! :up:

20. For some reason, I think if Rossi was in the race it would have been a lot more exciting.

Cafe, electronic aids in their current configuration couldn't have saved Rossi's crash.