1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stiffer clutch springs worth it?

Discussion in 'General' started by beechkingd, Feb 14, 2010.

1. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I have two different sets of springs that I can use on my bike. I've got some that are slightly stiffer then the stock ones which I've been using for several years. I just got a parts bike that has some that are so stiff I don't know if I would be able to down shift smoothly. I've noticed a little slippage lately and all the plates are very close to new dimensions. Will the extra stiff ones make that much of a difference?

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

It could.. I used to run 1/2 Barnett and 1/2 stock on mine...

3. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

I always found barnets to be annoyingly tough. 50/50 was ok. Most of the time I've run stock.

Maybe check the steels for potential warping? Also see if they are glazed, maybe scuff them slightly?? (I've need to do both over the years on occasion.)

Just some thoughts....

4. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

I ran that exact same set up with my R1. 3 stock and 3 Barnett. I didn't use all six just to make sure that I didn't get arm pump from having to muscle the clutch lever.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Using barnett clutches is asking for trouble. Their fibers suck and will plug an oil pickup in a hurry.

6. Marc Camp

Marc Camp Well-Known Member

I never run stiffer springs.Never have any problems with the stock suzuki stuff.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010