1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I make the right decision??

Discussion in 'General' started by madboosties, Dec 15, 2009.

1. madboosties

madboosties Well-Known Member

Asked a few friends for advice and I've been getting all sorts of answers. I attend Cal Poly Pomona full time and I have 3 quarters left till I get my bachelors. I've been interning at a water testing lab since June and last week they offered me a full time position with full benefits paying 18/hr. Am I stupid for turning it down and finishing school 1st, or should I have just taken a class or 2 a quarter and pushed graduation back a couple years?

2. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

What are you majoring in, and what kind of jobs are out there for what you are in school for?

3. madboosties

I'm a chemistry major, not sure if I want to attend graduate school or not. I'm interested in several different areas of chem (Biotech, Environmental, Pharmaceutical, & Quality Control)

4. Game

Game zip tie master

See how good they can make the schedule work for you.

5. madboosties

The schedule is really relaxed there, it's a 24/7 lab and they pretty much let you make your sch. Thats one of the reason I really like interning there.

6. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Finish school. $18 an hour is not a good reason to delay finishing your degree over IMO.

7. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

:stupid:

36k a year, or finish up in another year in a half making 70k-80k a year, not a hard choice to me.

8. Game

Game zip tie master

If you can't do both, stick to school.

9. karrotx

karrotx Well-Known Member

lt's possible to make double that working part time; stay in school. I have 3 semesters left; I've spent the last 2 weeks waking up at 8am, spending every second studying/completing labs on campus, sleeping for 4; repeat. I have two finals left!

I can't wait until I get that BS CpE. I think I might cry...

10. madboosties

^^Thanks fellas, makes me feel like I made the right decision. Some of my friends made it sound like I was crazy for not taking the position.

11. light 3

light 3 the bot

good choice. they tried to buy you cheap as well. don't be a fool, stay in school. :) thinking long term is the way to go, which is what you're doing.

12. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

How much money do the friends who think you are crazy make per year.

13. PETe@nps

PETe@nps Well-Known Member

i don't think so sure 18hr looks pretty good these days along with the benefits but with your degree you may be able to make way more money than that in the future. you would have settled for the 18 an hour and never finished your degree i've seen it a ton of times. don't settle go for the gusto!!

14. paistes5

paistes5 Well-Known Member

Finish school. The money is WAY better and you've made it this far. If you can do both, great but school needs to be the priority. You'll be greatful you did when you graduate making big bucks while your buddies are making squat.

15. VintageWannabe

VintageWannabe Diggin Deep

Sta in skul or ul end up tiping and sonding lik sum of the peeples on heer.

16. transman

transman Well-Known Member

stay in school bro. I didn't go to college and I'm making $18 an hour. I no longer own a bike and make just enough to support my family. Good thing my wife is in school or I'd have a pretty dull future ahead. $18 an hour doesn't go as far as you would think these days.

17. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

3 quarters is a piece of cake. Good call on staying in school!

18. Red900

Red900 Well-Known Member

Not sure these days. School is always a better choice, but I am a degreed engineer from Purdue and have been unemployed for over a year. I would consider a job right now for $18hr...

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I dropped school to chase the money 11 years ago. Don't do it. I wonder nearly every day what things would be like if I'd stayed in. I've spent the last 9 years trying off and on to finish my education. If I'd stuck it out, I'd have finished grad school and been working for seven years now.

20. kangasj

kangasj Banned

No shit? What kind of engineer? Man, it's a tough job market out there. I'm a mechanical engineer, got laid off in March and didn't find a new job until June. Last fall when I decided I'd like to work for a new company a head hunter had 5 interviews lined up in a few weeks. This time.....he could find nothing. Ended up taking a job with the DOT and damn it stings.....a 32K paycut but at this point anything is better than nothing. Good luck!