1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

... and you want them to control healthcare???

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by thrak410, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Come on Otter, did you knowingly vote for someone that you figured would put this country on the line for trillions of dollars within six months after he was elected? Be honest now. Obama's popularity is dropping like a stone. How many of those people voted for him, only to find out after the fact, he was going to try to spend this country into the poorhouse?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I view it as a glass with something in it. DOn't know how full. According to our local rag, dealers have no way of knowing the level of funding remaining and are no assured that all deals will be covered. There are reports of people working a deal one day only to find the EPA chnaged the ratings on the clunker killing the deal.

This is a semi-well intentioned cluster with the primary intent being to shoot most of another billion to the UAW.

3. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I have a question about this program that like ACREE, I think was well intentioned based on what I know.

My question is...

do any of you know exactly how the program works?

On the radio here they were saying that the "clunkers" that get traded in are to be destroyed so you will only get paid the scrap metal price for the vehicle then you get $4500 from the government on top of the scrap metal price. Is that how this actually suppose to work?

If that is the way it's suppose to work then I see a major opening for some scamming because who is out there to enforce the scrapping of the clunkers?

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

according to one of my employees that bought a car under the program, the dealer is required to drain the oil, pour in some lquid and run the engine until it seizes. Beyond that, i don't know

5. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Interesting.

6. extrabill

extrabill Guest

Until the backlog is cleared up, there is no way to know if the 1 billion has been spent. If it has, new deals won't be honored. It isn't the backlog that's the problem, it's the limited amount of money available. Once congress allocates more money, the program can continue.

As for the backlog, the program is only a week old. How quickly is the fed supposed to approved deals while doing due diligence to prevent fraud?

A survey of 2,000 dealers by the National Automobile Dealers Association found about 25,000 deals had not yet been approved by NHTSA, or nearly 13 trades per store. It raised concerns that with about 23,000 dealers taking part in the program, auto dealers may already have surpassed the 250,000 vehicle sales funded by the $1 billion program.

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

How many millions will we spend for government employees to be hired to clear the backlog?

8. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

CCC (Cars for Clunkers Czar)

9. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I was at Car Max the other day looking at Jeep Wranglers. My wife was looking at whatever she wanted.

Car Max had at least 15 Wranglers from $21000 and up.

With the Cash for Clunkers deal, I could get a new Jeep Wrangler for less than $15000.

Why did the program not include the used car dealers (who are now having to sit on inventory) or the motorcycle dealers (who offer vehicles that offer much better MPG)?

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Let me get this straight, you advocate allocating still more debt to support the UAW with no real evidence that this has accomplished anything. Brilliant.

11. extrabill

extrabill Guest

Beside selling 250,000 new cars in a week and and replacing those cars with ones that get 2-5 mpg better gas mileage?

12. extrabill

extrabill Guest

Because part of it's goal was to help move the huge inventory of unsold new cars.

13. dtalbott

Understood.

I thought part of the goal was to get people into vehicles that used less gas, too.

14. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Where did you see that they sold 250,000 new cars in a week?

15. extrabill

extrabill Guest

A survey of 2,000 dealers by the National Automobile Dealers Association found about 25,000 deals had not yet been approved by NHTSA, or nearly 13 trades per store. It raised concerns that with about 23,000 dealers taking part in the program, auto dealers may already have surpassed the 250,000 vehicle sales funded by the $1 billion program.

The program is only a week old.

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Not when one of your biggest business partners is the UAW. :D

17. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

They dont KNOW that they have sold 250k cars, thats why its being suspended... they dont know whats going on.

18. dtalbott

President Obama did promise them a bunch of stuff if they endorsed him. :D

19. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

where did that story come from anyway? they set aside enough for a quarter million cars, times that by $4500.00 they only delivered 22,000 cars so far this week, the match doesnt add up, the money is still there as of today anyway (yes i do work at a car dealership)

20. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

we just traded a old chrysler van, rotted out woodgrain on the side of it, its the poster child for clunkers if i ever saw one