1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Six *hundred* laps

Discussion in 'General' started by tophyr, May 15, 2009.

1. Coke in can

Coke in can Banned

I don't want to sound mean. but you have these claims for the tyres...Can you please post more info? You say they're sensative to pressures...but don't post your pressures..what temp do you run the warmers at?

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Not mean at all - that's why I posted up in the first place, to see if anyone else had these great results and to try to help replicate them if not.

I run the warmers at 180F all day. With a temp gauge, that got the carcass of the tire up to about 120F at an outside temperature of 55-60F.

For pressures, I run the front at 30psi and the rear at 29psi immediately off the track. I have been testing other pressures at the request of my tire guy, anywhere from 22psi off the track on up. He seems to like the rear tire at 26-27psi, but it will slide around a lot for me at that pressure - I think he likes it because he's got (self-admittedly) terribly set up rear suspension and he's making the tire do the shock's work, so the lower pressure enables it to flex more. For me, the lower the pressure, the less I can ask of the tire on corner exit.

3. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

We run 30f/30r off the track over here. Running much lower than that in the rear causes it to squirm around a lot. It also seems to overheat the contact patch and tear the tire. I believe it's because the sift construction of the tire causes there to be a hole, like a donut, in the contact patch when you get to low of a pressure in them.

They will also "walk" a lot at to low a pressure as you power off a corner.

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

That's exactly what I've noticed. I'll try 30r at Miller next weekend.

5. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

Vegas is only 2.15 mi? So, about 1,100 miles on the tire?

Here is my front at about 1,500. It was brand new before Miller last year, where it did 420 mi in one weekend. Then about 900 mi at Fernley before I retired it and brought it to Miller as a spare. With the temperature lower than expected and some rain falling, I brought it out of retirement and put at least 180 mi on it. However, no lap at either track has been any where near record pace.

Oh yeah, never been near a tire warmer. Heat cycled dozens of times.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Get that Michelin bunk outta here, this is a Bridgestone fanboi thread ;)

Your pic looks like a slick. Did Michelin upgrade their slicks with the introduction of the new Power One as well? I tried Michelin slicks when I was a novice but they felt like wood, and even the vendor at the track admitted that the tech in them was very old. Haven't really paid attention to 'em since :/

7. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Did they finally tear down R-ham? I thought they were still racing cars of some type there.

8. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

Sure it's a slick now. Just kidding, always was. AFAIK, the 17" slick upgrade is changing the name on the sidewalls and increasing the prices.

People say the 16.5" front is the shiznit. I'd try it if only they had some kind of special, like buy two front tires, get a free Marvic.

9. 178SV

178SV now retired...

Is there a Bridgstone vendor at WERA West events?

BTW, Vegas is a 1.8mi course.

10. stickboy274

I heard they were racing some cars at Rockingham last year I think.

I had my first on track seperation from my bike event there.

11. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Not too keen on the word crash eh! Derek?

12. squid52

squid52 Well-Known Member

bridgestone...

sliding the front eh'.....i tried the bstones and have noticed that too.....now you say that you predictably slide the front tire?, well i have done numerous test on those tires and noticed that they do slide, front and rear. while testing with my suspension tech and bstone guy we tried numerous setups to gain more traction but none seemed to work. we did most our testing at slower speed tracks like fontana and vegas but if you take those tires to a high speed track like willow springs then your in for a suprise...i would really like to see you "predictably slide the front tire at over 100 mph...not that i wanna see anyone hurt or crash but i just dont get it, i mean how many other tires/people are out there purposely and predictably sliding there front tire??? sounds like your asking for it to me....just a matter of time

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You don't Trophy....he's my favorite crasher. :)

14. eroge

eroge Well-Known Member

Track is still there, they race ARCA cars there. Two rounds this year I think. They were to testing all of the "Nascar" series there until this year's testing ban. Not sure if the roadcourse is still intact though.

15. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

There was a vendor at the April round who said they'd be there going forward, so here's hoping they're able to keep their word.

Normally the tire doesn't slide, regardless of how hard I push it - only when it's got 600 laps. :beer:

16. Triple R

Triple R Well-Known Member

Thats great! And to think I was going to switch to Pirelli! LOL!

17. stickboy274

Nope. Not a fan at all.

The fronts are some of the best in the business. The last one I slid I was finishing up the third hour on the same front at VIR. That was the old tires. The 003's are even better