1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You know what DMG needs in the Speed broadcasts?

Discussion in 'General' started by styles, Jun 23, 2009.

1. styles

styles The untrained eye

Lap times. It's nice to see what pace the guys are running and the gaps between them in WSBK. Plus it might give the announcers something extra to talk about. Wonder why they aren't doing it.

Somebody give 'em a ring real quick.

2. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Good point.

3. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I like it in F1 broadcasts when they talk about a driver getting the fastest time in a sector or lap. It would have been very interesting to compare the last few lap times of Mladin and Laverty at Road America for race one.

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Creamer and Russell.....DO NOT SUCK! I enjoyed them during the RA broadcast. This coupled with same day broadcasts will have me watching again. Things are coming around. :up:

5. danch

danch Well-Known Member

Creamer's OK. He does a pretty good job on sports car stuff. I still like Diffey, if only because he doesn't do the 'sportscaster project your voice' thing so much. I think Diffey has more bike knowledge, but Creamer seemed to prepare well enough.

Crossing my fingers that it'll be one of those guys with Russell when we go back to same day delay...

6. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

I was thinking that they must be doing a decent job (they are), because the beeb hasn't been bitchin' about it. ;)

7. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

They need the guys who do Manswers to help out with some women!

8. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Actually, they do kind of suck, as in, mixing up the Laverty brothers (I had no idea Michael Laverty had such a good ride at MMP in World Supersport!) and talking about Garrett Carter sailing past a bunch of guys and then never mentioning him again (he just disappeared?) even though he was visible in the next camera shot lying on the side of the track (with a broken collarbone).

I was pretty disappointed in that combo. Leigh Diffey and Scott Russell is a better combo.

9. John29

I think that's beyond their abilities at this point. We should get started with, getting the basics right. It wouldn't hurt for them to pay some attention to the running order, in case somebody is flying up from 21st to 11th and gaining in the wet.

They haven't shown any ability to pay attention to the overall picture very well. You see a guy like Laverty moving forward in the positions and they don't notice until he miraculously appears in the camera shot.

10. 418

418 Expert #59

One thing I've noticed while watching the BSB championship, is when Leon Camier clears off as he often does this year, the producers of the show have no qualms about going towards the rear of the pack to find good battles. And I'm not talking about, giving us a 45 second clip of couple of the guys in 10th place, I'm talking about following the boys for a few laps, introducing them and their sponsors, talking about their respective careers, personalities, injuries, etc. The whole spectrum of things, not just the fact that they're scrapping for a 8th place finish. Makes it much more interesting and makes the fans appreciate and remember the guys that might not be finishing on the podium every weekend.

11. caferace

caferace No.

Jack Burnicle, Tony Carter and Jamie Whitham are much more "close" to the racers, getting in there and mixing it up face to face. That, and the brits are not shy about giving each other good-natured grief over the smallest of slights.

Yes, the BSB team rock.

-jim

12. GAMBLER

GAMBLER Neard supporter

did you guys catch the Road America coverage reran on Speed
    they had a 45min Buell infomercial w/Erik making all kinds of silly claims

Buell 2010 WSBK domination

thx Speed

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

More cowbell?

14. John29

I watched that 2-hour show and I didn't see 45 minutes devoted to Buell, and I didn't hear anything about 2010 WSB domination. What I saw was a background piece on Buell that was maybe 10 minutes long in which Dave McGrath (former WERA racer, former Honda SB crew chief, current Buell employee) said that Erik Buell's goals include racing WSB.

Say what you want about Erik Buell, but the guy was a racer and shortly after he built an F1 bike for production, the AMA eliminated the class claiming no bikes were available. The guy lost his house and everything else he had, picked himself up, and created a motorcycle company using engines from the only guys who would work with him at the time, H-D. Knowing that and seeing where the company is now, building bikes in Wisconsin, I gotta give the guy props for never giving up, which is a true racer's attitude. He's doing what he can do now, and is planning for the future, and is spending money in racing. Could be worse.

15. GAMBLER

GAMBLER Neard supporter

[​IMG]

16. John29

Woo-hoo! Free Sham-wow with every Buell 1125R! Sha-zaam! :D

17. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

I agree with you about the "big picture" when it comes to their race call, but it should be easier when the do the same day broadcast. They'll be at the venue - seeing it live (not just what's on the monitor) and have access to the real time scoring. I also feel if SPEED would assign an announcer to the series (and stick with him or her for the entire series) the person would be very in touch with the intricacies of the races/series and it would be reflected in the race call. Still, SPEED is heading in the right direction. :up:

18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

More umbrella girls in HD :Poke:

19. Been-Jammin

Been-Jammin Nomonyx dominicus

I was really hoping to see a bikini photo in this thread.

Really.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

[​IMG]