Gun show this weekend, I wanna snub nose. .38spl or .357?

Discussion in 'General' started by ThrottleJock, Jun 10, 2009.

1. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

It's going to be a beat around gun. You know, for taking to the beach and mountain biking and stuff. I'm thinking that Ruger LCR is the perfect little cement stirrer/bottle opener/gun. Seems durable and doesn't rust, a huge problem down here. I have a permanent rust stain on my right ass cheek from my Kel Tec (recently gone, not missed).

THen the big dumb ex CR500 owner in me says "why not get the .357", and I have to ask myself that question. Because you can't get the LCR in a .357 is my current answer, but is that selling the big dumb CR500 guy in me short?

Discuss.

2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

.357 for a mountain biking? That's a big friggin' mountain lion.

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Get a .357, and you can practice with 38 ammo for a lot less $$.

As far as a 357 being overkill, there is no such thing when something is trying to eat ya.

4. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

I do a lot of urban riding. I don't really know where the bad areas are down here and I"m sure I'm in 'em screwing around by myself in tights on a $5000 bike sometimes so I usually pack when I go urban assaulting. Safety first, that's what momma always said!

5. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

6. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

Don't mess around with anything less than 44 mag. I have a S&W 629 44 mag with 3" barrel. I got it for bush flying in Alaska. Easy to carry under your arm and actually shoots straight.

7. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

You really pick the weapon & caliber for the scenario you believe to be most likely. Many handguns are light and easily concealable. a 2" snub nose is really a last resort weapon. It's a belly gun (as in your opponent is right on top of you and you just stick your fist - with gun in it - in his belly). There's no planning on aimed fire with that weapon. Both because of the lack of a front sight and the sight radius being so small you'll be lucky to hit anything beyond 5 meters.

If this is indeed how you envision using your defense gun, then DO NOT believe the folk who will try to steer you to a big caliber (40 S&W, 45, 44) even the .357. Hell, do you see yourself firing at a car as it's speeding away or barreling down on you that you need something to pierce the metal of the car? :rolleyes: .38+P rounds or 9 mike mike will do ya just fine in a street situation. It's the loss of blood that kills. Hitting on an axis is what'll stop 'em, and the caliber won't matter much then.

8. Rich SmithMoore

Rich SmithMoore Well-Known Member

So for the other side of the story........

Most 2" snubbies have front sights. Some even have adjustable rear sights.

Bowling pin matches are no problem. Human size targets at 50 yards are easily achievable. 100 yards if you use a rest.

.357 has a lot of blast and muzzle rise. A .38 will kick less than your old Kel-Tec and is about the equal to that .380 perfomance wise on humans.

If you're really worried about Mountain Lions stick with .357, 158 grain minimum. Mountain Lions are really fast and sneaky, I'm thinking you pretty much need to have it in your hand!

With the .357 you have low power options. Can't option up with the .38.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Practice with the round you defend yourself with. Truly a handgun is only to be used when you can't carry a rifle. That said, I cycle with a G19 in a fanny pack.

10. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

S & W 642 with +P ammo. All ya need. :up:

11. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

you wear a fanny pack?! I knew it! :Poke: :D

12. OldSlowGuy

OldSlowGuy Unregistered User

Taurus makes a wide variety of nice little .38s and .357s in titanium, alloys and stainless steel.

13. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Now I don't mean to make this a contest between us Rich. You're correct about the front sight and point out a very valid point if he's planning careful aim with the gun. Unless he chooses his rounds very carefully, There's a LOT of muzzle flash for a .357 (or +P) exiting a 2". Unless you practice in low light conditions, it'll definitely blind you for follow up shots.

So, let's get to addressing Throttlejack's issues. If it is close engagement that he's most concerned about, then the flash may not mean anything.
    The use of a bench rest for a defensive weapon is not realistic. Unless you or he believe he's gonna be hiding up behind a car or in some abandoned factory and can take careful aim at the approaching bad guyz. And where's this mountain lion stuff coming from? Here's riding in urban settings in the Miami Beach area. :Poke: If this will be a daily/frequent carry gun, then he may well be thankful for the lighter weight of a gun chambered for .38 and using +P vs. the .357. If this was an offensive weapon (i.e., hunting all sorts of life forms :D), then I'm with ya and definitely would steer him toward the larger bores.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

In all reality, a starter pistol would probably be just as effective. Most defensive engagments don't end in the bad guy getting shot, but just running away. When a couple of thugs come up to the sissy boy in tights and want to take his bicycle away, they're not counting on him pulling out a hand cannon. The mere sight of the gun will send them running. If they don't run on presentation, once the loud noises start they'll surely be gone.

15. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

not sure where you live but in my neck of the woods, they shoot back...

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

The secret is out. :D

17. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

That's because you are in tights. :D

18. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

and a fanny pack :p

19. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:D

A good friend of mine from Houston rides with a leather fanny pack over his one piece leathers. We ragged the shit out of him... til he pulled that .40cal Glock out. :p

Seriously though, which Glock madel is the .40S&W subcompact? It's the actual reason I read this thread. That's what he had. I was thinking Glock 29 but I can't remember. I've though of getting that as a CCW.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Baby Glock 40 is a G27 iirc