1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F2 running problems

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by fullmetalF4i, Jun 1, 2009.

1. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

so last year i rode this F2 at the last North Florida round in august. ran great.
    it sat until december when i took it out of the garage to teach my girlfriend how to ride. it started giving me trouble. only wanted to stay running when the choke was partially engaged.
    got to the point where when i was riding it, it would stumble pretty badly, in any gear but 1st. then it died on me one day in february. i was riding home when in 6th gear it didnt want to do 55mph. i had to hold it wide open just to keep up with traffic. i shifted down to 5th gear, and then 4th gear, until it finally died in 3rd gear and wouldnt start.
    it sat from then until 2 days ago i pulled it out of the garage to try and get it running. after talking with KJ about the carbs i got it started yesterday after cleaning the petcock out and getting the carbs cleaned. once i got it running i wasnt getting any pressure from the exhaust so i figured i'd swap out for another system i happen to have laying around the garage since the one on the bike was pretty much garbage.
    I installed that today and there was exhaust pressure.
    took it for a spin and in 1st gear it runs great but 2-6th the thing either is bogged down and struggling or gives me crazy power surges. dont have any gauges but i would say around 5000rpm it will run ok, anything above its crap.
    just would like to get more eyes on the problem to develop a solution if anyone can help awesome :beer:

2. paistes5

paistes5 Well-Known Member

Maybe the rectifier or regulator, whatever that's called?

3. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

And make sure the ground wire bolt is tight. :D

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Torque the powerbands to 18 ft lbs.

5. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

yeah i made sure the regulator/rectifier was grounded correctly. i dont happen to have a spare one of those unfortunately

6. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing fuel issues with the pump or relay and or something as simple as a low battery.

7. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

if its an f2 eng it doesnt have a fuel pump.i'll give you $20 for the whole thing as is,that way i have an excusse to go to jennings

8. paistes5

Boz, when do you want to get together so I can give you your pics?

9. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

nttawwt

10. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

not the ecu either. swapped that out and got the same result.

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Perhaps a vaccum leak at the carb boots.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  12. paistes5

:moon:

13. Dissevered

Dissevered Well-Known Member

Check vacuum line from the tank. Check carb boots like mentioned, make sure they are flush and not severely cracked or anything. Check typical tune up stuff (plugs, filter). Beyond that, it really sounds like a clogged main jet if it dies above 5k or maybe a float is sticking here and there and the higher you rev its draining the bowl. How well did you clean the carbs?

14. walladm

walladm #147

How old is the fuel filter?

15. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

Die with these 3 of well over 12 basic fundamental variables.

1. Compression = I start and run. So it is not compression with a tight valve or bent valve or worn rings is I run... I can now eliminate compression.

2. Spark = Yes I have spark. Darn thing rips in 1 gear. Then all of a sudden she nose dives with more rpm and more speed is the need for spark is.... I have spark is what the hell am I looking here for is compression too...... Oh, WOT to do WATT 2 DUE. Does...

3. Fuel = Close the loop on the Otto-cycle? Yep, sure says I better be looking for a fuel problem. I have fuel sitting in the bowls and the flow is slow. But I can rip it up in 1st gear and drain the bowls.
    Now the darn thing is like feels like....... Yeah, I have spark. I have compression.... I have so many variables is open the gas cap and now do I have free flow from the tank to the float needle?

1. Float stuck from sitting it fills the bowl so much for 1st but screw the other gears is a stuck float?
    2. I have a vacuum lock at the gas cap? Do I ride around with the cap off so I can check for vacuum lock?
    3. If I topped off the tank, I do not need to ride the bike. I now open the petcock, close the cap and now that the air is all in the neck... That petcock is going to lock in less than a half/quart flowing out is trickle out?
    4. Do I have a kinked hose from petcock to float seat inlet?
    5. Filter clogged someplace you have in the aftermarket?
    6. WE see the huge trouble tree is hardly stuck the shovel in the dirt looking for root cause.

We sort of agree it is fuel related if it can run? Chase nothing till the fuel issue is an issue? :up:

16. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

We like the advice above. Curt it does sound like fuel. Sometimes cleaning isnt enough. I think I have a rejet kit around for the f2 carbs. Ill check and see. If so its yours I dont need it.

17. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

thanks dyle that would be helpful
    so i went back, put in 4 new spark plugs, put on another set of ignition coils and plug wires, removed the main jet holders and cleaned them thinking that if the holders are clogged the initial cleaning wouldnt have fixed the problem, replaced 2 of the boots that had slight cracks. buttoned it back together. didnt fix the problem.
    i just dont understand how it could have run great in august and in december it be crap...

18. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

i'll still give you $20 or it.

19. XRacerX

XRacerX Well-Known Member

20. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

WTF fry...... you run tanks!!!!