1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA Sportsman Series

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by gripfreak89, Feb 17, 2009.

1. gripfreak89

gripfreak89 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,
    I need some information on what occurs during a normal sportsman series weekend. I've started doing trackdays with an r6 and would like to do some racing later this year as I feel like I'm up to speed.
    I tried finding this information in the Wera rulebook but all I saw was specific race procedures.
    My question is, what typically happens during the weekend, Saturday and Sunday? Are there qualifying sessions on saturday and different heats for a final race?
    - In the rulebook it says that grid position during the race is determined by points standing. So if this means that there is no qualifying then what's saturday for?
    Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Saturday is for Solo's:beer:

3. gripfreak89

Thanks! but all i know about solo's (from researching the forum for a few hours) is that they're 20 lap races (right?) That's it. What's the purpose of the solos? Do they count for points towards the Sportsman regional championships? Also, if there's a solo on saturday, is there also a sprint on sunday? I'm confused, obviously!

4. OldnReallySlow

OldnReallySlow Well-Known Member

The Sprints are on Sunday 6 - 8 laps in Wera West while the Solo's are money races. Sprints count towards points , the Solos pay out for so many places. Think I've got it right. Also, be prepared to be broke from now on if you're racing!!!

5. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Solo`s are generally 16 laps now.

6. gripfreak89

Ok, so the Solo's are mainly for fun and to get some more time on the track (and maybe earn some cash? nice!). And do they have solo's every race weekend? I will be racing in the North-Central region.
    Is there another way but being broke? haha, I didn't know that, I've been racing cars and karts for a while. But I fell inlove with 2 wheels now.
    When/Where are the schedules for races posted? All I can find in the Wera site are dates for events.

7. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

number of laps depends on the track and if the we have red flags sometimes they will trim the laps down. they post up schedules whenever they get them done and are subject to change. as far as i know solos are at all sportsman events. no national stuff. payout for solos is dependent on how many entries.

8. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

On WERA's home page there are schedules posted, National and regional for info on how the day works. You can see what races are National events on the yearly schedule. The only thing that changes is the order the classes race. Hope that helped.

See you out at some NC races its a blast.

9. gripfreak89

A.R.K., where exactly in their home page? All I see is "latest news", then a sponsors section, then a section with results per race type and region, with links to the general yearly schedule. Am I just blind?:confused:

10. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

www.wera.com

11. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Yeah, kinda.

http://www.wera.com/schedule/?x=1098

You ought to come to a race for a weekend as a spectator, that will really give you a good idea of what the drill is, and folks are always glad to answer questions. ( without the stress you'll feel on your first real weekend). You'll also get to watch some great racing.

If you are from the central Ohio area, get in touch and you can tag along for a weekend with me or some of the other Central Ohio folks!

Edit: saw you are from Indiana, but come out anyway!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  12. gripfreak89

That's a great idea. I think I'll go to the first race of the North-central region then (grattan I think). Do you camp there?

13. JBall

1st event is Nelson, second in Grattan. There is camping at both tracks. Bring beer.

14. gripfreak89

haha, sorry I'm only 19. I can watch you drink, thats about it. But yeah I'll probably go and camp there. It will be nice to get a feel for what goes on during a race weekend.

15. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

You will need to go to a race school also if you have not. Looks like WERA has its race school at all the regional events on the NC schedule. See ya at the track :)

16. gripfreak89

Yeah I'll do the school at Grattan on my first race weekend.
    Thanks for all your help. I can't wait to meet some racers, make some new friends, and learn some new things. Cya at a race!

17. JBall

Yeah, I couldn't drink when I was 19 either...:D

See you at the races!

18. gripfreak89

How do you guys like the tracks of Wera's North-Central region? I know Grattan is very popular and looks like a lot of fun. What about Nelson (looks fast and, fast) and Beaverun?

19. JohnnyTheboy

JohnnyTheboy Well-Known Member

20 laps in southeastern division well at tally the first race of the season.

20. KILLA1

KILLA1 Orange Suzuki = MY HERO

:crackup: :beer: