1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one looking forward to see AMA Changes

Discussion in 'General' started by slowohioboy344, Dec 14, 2008.

1. slowohioboy344

slowohioboy344 Well-Known Member

Haven't been on in a while, so may be some type of repost but what the heck.

Alright, so Honda is out. Kaw, and Suzuki haven't announced yet but not looking good, OK that kinda sucks but it is what it is.

The changes have been made, no going back now and in a couple years we may be looking back at this as a time that helped our sport, through a rough patch. Maybe, maybe not but think about the positives of this new era.

1. Purse money is better, who knows we might start to see more of the bounty hunters racing some of the AMA races. OK this might not happen with the spec tire rules, but it opens the door for them to come out and pay for the weekend. Most of us wonder how they would fare sometimes, maybee we'll get more answers.

2. Spec tires & Fuel, well it knida sucks for the guys that have deals with Pirelli and the guy's on Michelin and Bridgestones, but we will know that the leaders are on the same rubber as the guy racing out of his truck. The super jet fuel days may be over as well.

3. I look forward to seeing more of the up and comers getting closer to the leaders. Yeah the guys out front are there for a reason, I don't expect to see unknowns winning or anything. Hey would be cool to see some more of the Wera National/CMRA guys running up there. May be interesting who does come out to race.

I am over all of the moping about the changes, it's done and going to happen. Who knows maybee there will be some new names learned by the "common fans" who have been mentioned a little in other posts. I just hope that the Spec stuff dosen't end up eliminating the fast privateers that are on other brands. I guess we will know soon enough.

Done with my mini rant:beer:

2. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

:moon:are you stil gay?

nttiatwwt

3. Chip

Chip Registered

No matter what happens, it won't be right in 2009...or maybe even 2010....but it is what it is. Lets go racing and if its not good then we will sort it later.

As John says.....racers race.

4. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I personally dont care for the spec stuff. Thats not to say that I dont believe that its a good idea to level the field, I just hate to see companies like Pirelli, Michelin, and Bridgestone lose revenue from pro racing at a time when they probably need it most considering the economy.

As for the other things I cant say much. I didnt attend any meetings or listen in on any discussions reguarding the changes, so its not fair for me to cast judgement on people or companies when I cant say for sure who was on the wrong end of the deal through all of this. I'm just going to sit back and watch, and hope that the people that know alot more about the situation than me made the right decisions.

5. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

your right.... but what about the spectator end of it. thats where the problem might be IMO.

i like change, i think its great, but is it what people want to see?

6. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

chip, whats up you get a deal now it's all good? what a pushover.:D

7. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

holy crap, Billy came out of hiding

8. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I agree completely with this point, but I think the rest of the entire situation is a cluster$*#!.

Right now, AMA Superbike racing is a ruined entity and laughable compared to other likewise series in the world.

Personally, I'm hoping for a big bounceback in the credibility of U.S. roadracing. We have some of the best riders and teams on the planet who are being penalized in part because of politics and more so because of a lousy economy.

I am also not seeing the DMG changes as spurring growth in the sport as envisioned by Edmondson. Hopefully I'm proven wrong on this.

9. Chip

Chip Registered

I don't know if its what people want to see. I really don't. But if we can get a decent amount of teams out there, I think we can put on some good racing and people need entertainment when the economy is shit.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Whatever happens at the AMA stuff, I know we'll have good racing at WERA - Nationals and Sportsman alike.

11. slowohioboy344

slowohioboy344 Well-Known Member

I have no doubt at all :up:

Hey Kov, I agree with Chip, If it's a show they will want to watch. Just be some new names for most of them to cheer for.

Boost: nttiatwwt????? Is that your southern homo signature or what?:Poke:

12. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

From a fan perspective, I gave up on AMA racing years ago. I only went to mid-Ohio races to see the circus sideshows like the star(d) boys burning down their motor home... So-called "club" racing such as WERA or that other org provide much more entertainment in the form of close racing. Watching guys like Robbie Jensen, the brothers Wood and Tray Batey tear it up on tracks like Grattan, Summit Point & Nelson Ledges- places that would turn Mat apoplectic- is really something else. Edmondson needs to pull some serious miracle action out oh his ass before I'd go back to an AMA race as a fan.

13. knuckledragger

knuckledragger Well-Known Member

So Chip, is it sushi or pasta that Kevin will be serving in the paddock this next season. When we talked at Daytona last week you said that you'd know by now. What gives?

Cheers,
    D

14. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Billy - I hope with this new turning point in the series you've been out looking for sponsors during the offseason (and not moose). :D

BTW - I agree with you. I'm over the drama. Let's just get out and race ..

15. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

And now a word from our sponsors....
    :D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Lucas Oil, Pirelli, Bridgestone, and Michelin :crackup:

17. runfromme

runfromme Well-Known Member

i feel the same way. i'm done bitching and moaning about things i can't change and i'm looking forward to seeing big grids full of racers out for blood...errr money.

18. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

I feel bad for the fans. Sometimes, it is made out to sound as if they are dumb and won't know the differences. They're smarter than that. I think having really only a few notable names will hurt more than anything.

Look at it this way. Mladin, Haydens, Hacking, EBoz, etc are all names fans have known through the years. Sure, new ones come along that they like (Eslick, Holden, etc) but in the end, if they are all gone and they have a HUGE amount of fresh faces, how is it really different than the WERA National series?

Big names have big draws. Those are seemingly on hold or gone. I think with the mess this has all made, everyone knows it isn't going to be the same and I think it is going to hurt.

My hope is that DMG looks at the dismal turnout for the tire test and listens to what people are saying and let go of the ego (all sides are dealing with egos) and be the first to say "Hey, let's see if we can make a compromise and do something that pulls back the big guys and the big teams". If not, it is going to be a mess.

I think the privateers have a great shot this coming year. Of course, if I was a Hayden or Mladin, I'd take that contract salary I was going to still get for 2009 and go racing on my own. Could you just believe it if you saw Mladin pull up in an RV with a trailer and run a solo effort?

I think it would be the best thing that could happen...

I also think this year is the best year for privateers. I think if it doesn't change for 2010, the money will dry up as sponsors are not going to want to support a series lacking factory teams and big names...

19. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Seriously, like what? They've already compromised about a hundred times, and every time they gave the OEM's what they asked for they changed their minds. Seems to me there's nothing the AMA can do to pull them back in, it's not about rules or classes, maybe never has been.

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

If you have your head in the sand long enough....you wouldn't know that a bunch of stuff has happened and we are were we are today and it ain't gonna change.