How old when you started racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by jrgixxer, Dec 5, 2008.

1. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Jeez, no wonder you kids are kickin my ass!

I started riding in 1971 at 18.
    Rode over half -million road miles on BMWs I have the medallions to prove it)
    First track day with Reg Pridmore in 1988 at 34 years of age.
    First WERA license on 3/11/2006 at age 51. First win in third race weekend.
    First Senior Superbike Novice Heavyweight Regional Championship at 52 (2007)
    Finished third in Senior Superbike at the GNF two years running (06 and 07)
    Made Expert at 54 (this season just past)
    Stood on my first AMA Superbike podium in March 1978 at age of 23 (Crew mechanic for Udo Gietl's BMW team-John Long 2nd place)

My greatest moments are gridding among the greats of WERA racing today. Gaige, Acree, Jensen, Wood and those guys, and thinking "They let me actually come out on this track with these awesome riders!" The other guys may have a different thing they are saying inside their helmets when they see an old man with a gray stubbly beard, pot belly and an 8-year-old Gixxer with duct-taped livery roll up on the line.

I love you guys for not only not laughing me out of the place, but for being supportive and encouraging. You guys are the best.

Cannoli, where's my sammich?

2. jim137

jim137 Well-Known Member

3. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

next year at 38.

4. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Dirt at 5
    roadracing at 26

5. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

Fireball, looks like you win the old fart award in my book....39 yrs. of racing, wow!

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Track days 25

Racing 28

7. Keep Up

Keep Up N 142

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

First street bike at 25.
    First track day January 07
    First race weekend February 07

9. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

10. Demon DS7

Demon DS7 Well-Known Member

11. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

This thread has made me realize whats wrong with american roadracing. Look how many started so late in life. Maybe the red bulll thing will start a real change and get the young'uns in the game alot sooner.

12. jrgixxer

jrgixxer Well-Known Member

It has suprised me too! I thought most would have started alot younger. I don't feel so bad about maybe getting out there now. I thought people would have been like, your to old to try this s^*t now...lol.

13. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

...oh and SV650 :D

14. exracer941

exracer941 Well-Known Member

Started at 37. Ran out of money. Got more money, started back again at 44. :beer:

15. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

16. caferace

caferace No.

Naw. See, us old fart racers bother to spend hours online talking about racing, reading about racing and making fun of each other. Mostly because we're old, slow and will never make the big leagues...

The kids, they don't mess with that shit. They just race.

Now wait until they get in their mid-30's. :D

-jim

17. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

First track day at 25; first race at 28.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Keep in mind that this is club racing: most of us start when we can afford to pay for it ourselves. Or after the kids have moved out, or whatever other real-life things are out of the way.

19. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

No doubt. But if you are someone with some talent wera is the natural first step to take. There are an awful lot of 30 + people who have posted up

20. ton

ton Arf!

this was my first season. turned 37. after 8 years on slow bikes, now i'm a slow guy on a fast bike.

-mark