1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT - Concealed Carry guys - recommendations (again)?

Discussion in 'General' started by ThrottleJock, Sep 19, 2008.

1. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

I'm a cheapo, and this will be a concealed carry weapon only, on my person or stuffed in the glovebox, luggage, etc. I was initially thinking .380 'cause that's what folks from my dad's generation carried concealed, but now with the 9mm's getting so small I want to go that route. Looking for something cheap as it won't live a life with a lot of rounds put through it, occasional trips to the range to stay in tune but I prefer to plink with target guns designed for the task. Recoil pain and chipped up hands from slides & poly triggers never bothered me much (you're firing a GUN for cripes sake, it's supposed to be somewhat violent) so that's less of a factor for me than other items. Here's what I've narrowed it down to so far:

1. Kel Tec PF-9 (ugly little gun but folks seem to like it based on the value)
    2. Taurus PT-111/ti (decent, step up in quality and price from the Kel Tec)
    3. Kahr PM9 (Nice gun all around, not so cheap)

For any of you who may be bigger gun nuts than me, what would be your recommendation?

2. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Glock 19

3. ThrottleJock

Ha! Okay I'll add that to my research list, I haven't looked at the Glocks 'cause I was looking at the super-tiny gun range. I'm going to a gun show this weekend so I'll get to fondle them all in person, so that's good.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  4. lvbluer6

lvbluer6 Well-Known Member

glock 27 chambered for .357 sig, FTW!!

5. mille52

mille52 Old, Slow and Not Crabby

S&W 642. perfect pocket gun

6. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

I carry an HK P30 9mm as my daily carry. Love it so far, only complaint is the price tag :crackup: I held a lot of them before I made my purchase and as soon as it hit my hand I knew that was the one. Really fun to shoot and 9mm ammo is relativly cheap. I get 50 target rounds for $8 and a box of 50 HST hollow points OR Hydra shocks 147 or 135 grain for $19 :)

7. frackadelic

That's just what I have, but they do make a sub-compact that is much smaller. I just like the feel of the compact and it is still easily concealable.

8. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

The Ruger LCP is a .380, but a sweet little gun. Very light, very small. For a deep cover pistol, it would probably be my choice. Better quality than the Kel-Tecs.

The PF-9 is on my short list too, though, just because it's a 9mm. I'd get it before the others on your list.

I currently have a Glock 19 and 26 - both are concealable well enough, but they're still too wide to really hide well. That's why I'm looking at the super small autos.

9. ThrottleJock

Great recommendations guys please keep them coming. Like I said I'll see all these in person this weekend so this will give me a better idea what to look for.

Otherwise I always seem to end up over at the .50 caliber handgun section trying to figure out a way to justify ownership of one of those things for something. Anything.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

sig p220. 45acp, a 380 is just going to make whomever you shoot with it angry.

11. frackadelic

Oh sorry. Desert Eagle.

12. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

Kahr pm9 is a great little unit. Not exactly cheap though. My wife has a Taurus pt-111 pro 9mm, and has over 3000 rounds through it with no issues. I would also check out Springfield XD's as well. $450 for a 9mm with holster and clip pouch. Ruger also makes the lcp .380 that fits in your front pocket and is great for carrying.:up:

13. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I carry (depending on attire) my Sig P250 compact 9mm or my Bersa Thunder .380. The .380 round is still quite capable of killing you no problem, dont let these guys deter you from that round.

You can get a Bersa Thunder for aounrd $200 if you look in the right places. They are very very reliable and have excellent customer service if needed. :thumbup

The Sig P220 stays home most of the time, although I do take it on trips where its not as important to conceal (glove compartment, suitcase, etc)

14. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Absolutely.

For those times you just want to beat them over the head rather than shoot them.

15. ThrottleJock

Dude I'm digging that Ruger LCP. I saw the ads for that thing but sort of shrugged if off due to the .380 caliber. The key with something that small is that I'd actually carry it. Concealed weapons usually work better when you have them with you. This thing would be perfect for the wife too. Hmmn.

16. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

You know the .380 is a 9mm bullet just with a shorter casing than 9mm Para... In germany its even called the 9mm Kurz (kurz means short).

17. keg0900

keg0900 none ya

I carry the Kel tec 380 everyday in my front pocket its great never jams when i take it to the range and is very easy to conceal i even carry it wearing shorts. i would have gotten the ruger lcp but you cant find them around here at all. both are great guns for what you are looking for.

the biggest thing is its worthless unless you are carrying it so dont be afraid of getting a 380 to fit in your pocket it beats that springfield 911 i have in my drawer at home any day. because i can carry the 380 everywhere. just my 2cents.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  18. Strick

Strick Good to be king

If you can't hit the right spot with a .380 and have it do the job then using something bigger will not give you any better results.

19. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I like Glocks, but I can't see myself trying to carry one concealed. I'd almost certainly have to carry a single stack gun. So, if it were me, and I wanted a non-small gun, I'd get a 1911. If I were going to stay small, it would likely be the Kel-tec.

20. One hit from a .380 beats eight misses from a .45.