1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Republicans not racist!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by 999, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You ever notice the people they interview for tornado stories? Ever wonder why they don't sound like college grads.....

2. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

You really owe it to yourself to travel to England where the English speak, hmmm, well, proper English?

While you're there, hail a cab in the east end of London and try to understand the driver's Cockney dialect. It'll be much harder to understand than anything you might call Ebonics. He won't use Cockney rhyming slang because you wouldn't understand any of it at all. Cockney is a working class dialect but keep in mind it doesn't reflect what the driver's intelligence is. Tell us if you think he sounds less “impressive” and then we can decide on your next destination :)

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Trailer parks are not exactly teeming with college grads.

4. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

Might also be why they cant figure out they shouldnt be living in a place called tornado alley

5. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

:crackup:

6. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Your answer to my questions was what I was looking for. Thank you.
    I agree with you 100%. :beer:

These other guys are dragging me down a muddy road. :)

7. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I have a friend who's wife is from London. He lived there for about 15 years before bringing his wife and daughter to the states. He still speaks American English while his wife and daughter speak with a very heavy cockney slang. Personally, I don't have a problem understanding it and it sounds great. I love talking to her.

On the other hand, when I try to understand a person from India, where a lot of tech services are located, I can't understand anything they say. :(

8. Robert

So when she says “use your loaf” or “apples and pears” you actually understand what she means? My mum grew up near London and knew a lot of those. I didn't have a problem when she mimicked the accent but never understood a word of the slang. Ebonics is simple in comparison.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

10. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

It remains unclear whether the Illinois senator is on a hopeless mission, or whether the American people will decide to make history by breaking with it.

See thats how the media makes racism stick around. Your either not racist and vote for him and make history or you are racist and dont vote for him. His hopeless mission has nothing to do with what he wants to do as president.

11. Robert

I think you're misinterpreting that. The author's saying it's whether the first black president will result in race relations improving or whether that's a “hopeless mission”

12. PInC

PInC Well-Known Member

I'd say he's on a hopeless mission and likely to make race relations worse. That clip of The View that they are playing ad nauseum about the N* word is a prime example. Would those women be sitting there talking about who has the "right" to use the N* word if this election hasn't become a race issue? As this election process goes on, I hear more people say that just because they don't agree with a far left candidate, who happens to be black, that they're prejudiced. They won't vote for him because of his far left leanings, flip-flops, and lies, not because he's black or not. BUT, they are accused of being racists. It's the great white guilt trip that the far left is trying to place on voters to vote for the man just because he's black. He's not the best person for the job, his color is incidental to me.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

"Youse guys" and Shrimp and grits with sweet tea just don't go together. It's a y'all thing, they wouldn't understand.:D

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The sweet tea thing royally pisses me off. I shouldn't have to ask for sweet tea anywhere in the United States. Damn yankee scum.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is tea, and there is unsweet.

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I don't drink sweet tea any longer but when I did it was funny to watch the reaction when you ask for sweet tea in the Northeast. :D

I went to a restaurant in Saratoga Springs, NW years ago and asked for tea and they brought me hot tea. I looked at the waitress and said what the hell... where's the ice? She said, "oh I'm sorry I didn't know you wanted ice tea."

WTF it was freaking June and the tea was not sweet.

17. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

This race thing would be a non-issue if we had JC Watts or Colin Powell on the Republican ticket. :p

18. Hater

Hater Well-Known Member

I hate sweet tea - I always forget when I'm in the south to ask for unsweetened tea as I have now begun to take for granted that iced-tea means just iced-tea, no sugar.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That's just wrong.

20. tomastopher

tomastopher Well-Known Member

I believe that linguists call it "code switching" or "coding" and as you pointed out in many cases it is a subconcious shift that occurs when you are in the presence of different groups with which you associate. For example, when i lived across the street from a group of Vatos, the language structure that i adopted when interacting with them was soelly to make me seem more like them, and when i'm on the job site the f-bombs abound. And let's not forget discrimination is necesary for without we can not discern differences in all things that help us make choices. it's racism and the fear that drives it thea sucks.