1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Republicans not racist!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by 999, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So how do you feel about whites who speak properly? Or whites that do not?

Why do whites choose to speak backwoods or redneck or trash or any other euphemism that you equate to ebonics?

2. Hater

Hater Well-Known Member

I think what Orvis is trying to ask is:

Some whites speak redneck because they are truly uneducated enough to know the difference. There are extremely educated blacks who choose to speak ebonics. Why is that?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There are? Where?

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

50 Cent

:p

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

First of all, I did not say you can identify every black person by voice. I said "more often than not." Secondly, you think that maybe that "neutral voice" might have been a selection factor for a news anchor? Not everyone on the street looks good, but somehow most news anchors are a decent looking. And I don't know about you, but I don't think every white person who doesn't sound like Brian Williams is trying to sound dumb on purpose. Do you really think TV news anchors are a reflection of the population? I think you're going to need to do better than that to support that ignorant statement you made.

That being said, do you consider someone (any race) using "proper English" with a strong Southern accent to be "neutral" sounding?

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Fiddy.

7. Hater

Hater Well-Known Member

I don't care about the wearing the hat backwards, but can we criticize Nicky for the way he wears his hats?

8. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

Since you requested responses from Ebonics speakers, I'll admit up front: I am white :)

But when you say it “impresses you,” it sure seems like you're implying those who don't sound like you are less intelligent. Maybe that's not what you meant?

Although not directly related, I am guessing you'd have a more enlightened perspective about dialects in general if you travelled more and/or had more friends for whom English was a second (or even third or fourth) language. How much effort they put into speaking “Proper English” and adopting what you consider a neutral accent has nothing to do with intelligence.

In the case of African Americans I'd say it has more to do with segregation and a desire to develop their own social identity. Did you ever stop to consider that their not wanting to sound like you is perhaps deliberate? :Poke: :D

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Orvis is making me search for some funny shit on the inter-webs. :D

10. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Anyone that uses language poorly, seem to me, uneducated. I don't care what color they are. If the person is truly uneducated then that's one thing, but to deliberately talk like an ignorant person is being truly ignorant. Dialect is not something that I'm talking about either. It has nothing to do with poor use of language.

Papa may have hit a good point with his comment that perhaps some in the black race do not want to sound like everyone else. That might be one of my points also. Why do they want to deliberately sound ignorant? It has no positive effect on them, and, in fact, does them harm in the eyes of others.

I made a mistake attempting to compare news anchors to everyday people. Papa is right, they are taught to speak with as little dialect as possible. Listening to one of them speak won't give you much of an idea as to where they came from. If everyone spoke that way conversation in the US would be boring indeed.

11. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Ok, I concede. I screwed up trying to use news anchors as an example. (See my comments in my response to Mongo.)

I will say again, since I have a strong Texas "twang", I certainly can't say anything about accents. Listening to a strong southern accent is quite pleasant. (Especially if she's a good looking Georgia blond like my Aunt.) :up:

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Who do you see actively trying to sound ignorant? Because your wording is still making it seem as if you feel all black people speak ebonics. Not sure about Texas but everywhere else I've been that is far from the case. People tend to sound like others in their region first and socio-economic level second. Color really has nothing to do with it.

Now I'm not factoring in older peeps who are trying to sound hip or cool because they're just goofy.

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

No Robert, I do not consider anyone to be less intelligent than I just because they speak differently. I'm just questioning why some that have educations speak like they don't.

I may have not traveled as much as you, and others, however, I have lived in N. Carolina, have visited, many times, a lot of the states in the South and Southwest including California. (Talk about weird language. :D )

I will say again, I'm not talking about dialects. I'm talking about using poor sentence structure.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It was Robert, but I agree.

Maybe they don't see it as ignorant.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Maybe "poor sentence structure" is a new dialect...

16. 999

999 Well-Known Member

The first step to overcoming your (unconsious) racism is to admit it.

What you're saying (and thinking) is akin to saying "hey did you see that bear riding a bicycle"? That's pretty impressive... for a bear.

You are actually saying that it is an impressive achievement (to you) when a black american person manages to sound like a white american person.

17. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Not if you think backwards is okay.

18. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:D

19. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I know that all black people don't use Ebonics. I guess my view is distorted by news stories when the reporters are interviewing black students and parents. Dallas is a huge wealth of negative news that is presented to us on a daily basis. It seems like every week there is some issue with the Dallas school system where some of the parents are raising hell about something. When I listen and watch an interview it seems that most of the people being interviewed are speaking like they have no education at all, and yet, there they are, in school, and many of the parents don't speak any better. What is the general public to make of this kind of stuff? I'm guessing the school system isn't helping much either. (That's a whole new thread)

I'm sorry I brought this whole subject up. I've had a burr under my saddle for a couple of days and I've let it creep onto this board. (Yep, it was an issue involving a black Dallas leader.) What the hell, he uses good English too. :)

20. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

Well Orvis the great discriminator j/k. I dont speak ebonics but it is weird and I cant control it I tend to do it when I am around people who do. I could not tell you why they choose to do it but people that surround me if they are somewhere like work they will speak properly but get them home and thats a different story. Its just a language they formed to be different. The point I was making and I think you were trying to make. Is it doesnt matter your race when you are trying to get a job a (good job) first impressions are everything. The way you dress and the way you talk and carry yourself has alot to do with it. And people like to scream discrimination when they dont get it.