1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Motorcycle Industry?

Discussion in 'General' started by Chip, Jun 26, 2008.

1. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

You ride 900 miles a week?

I too am confused almost any time someone spends money to "save". I have a friend who said it best when he said he was going broke saving money at Sam's Club.

2. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

well, the math doesnt add up, unless that mazda gets around 90mpg, but whatever. i'm simply saying, that just like in your case, you ADDED debt, and monthly payments to SAVE gas. it all good, just not something i'd do to SAVE. :D

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

In the context of gasoline prices at one or two dollars per gallon, that could have remained true indefinitely.

4. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Well then perhaps we'll have something for which to thank OPEC, oil speculators and the evil oil companies.

5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

He lives at home and doesn't pay rent.

It's all good for him. :D

6. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I'd rather buy a bike that I will keep for awhile and save gas than to keep throwing my money basically down the toilet in gas for my vehicle.

Michael's truck - $105 to fill up
    Michael motorcycle - $17 to fill up

Motorcycle won't depreciate that fast to not make up that difference.

7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

NEWS FLASH!

Daytona Beach, FL: Roger Edmonson today publicly thanked the world's Oil Ministers and commodities speculators for creating new fans for his stillborn motorcylce racing series, DMG.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Don't be so quick. We might end up seeing the opposite effect. European roads are not crowded with Ford Expeditions. This could be the start of a major scare. :D

9. SteveThompson

I'm no PHd in math or anything, but that is not enough information to draw any mathematical conclusion.

We have a bunch of people here at work who have begun commuting on scooters. I think it is false economy. If the average workers car gets 25 mpg and the scooter gets 50mpg... average round trip commute is 25 miles... gas is $4... you save $2 per day. So if you commute every day, rain or shine, snow, take no vacations, etc you will save $510 per year. Not including financing, license, insurance and maintenance on the scooter. Personally, I think scooters are cool and I would have more respect for people if they just said they bought one because they wanted one. My opinion is that you can hardly ever, in personal finance, spend money to save money. That goes for cars, furnaces, replacement windows, light bulbs and whatever else is marketed as a "money saver".

10. Knarf Legna

:D

I saw this all coming, I got in on the ground floor of the brokering of the mass shipments of Navigators to Mexico from US panic sales. They run 'em on donkey piss down there, detuned a little but still great in the desert.

11. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Ok, he goes through a tank a week. So that would be $5460 per year just for daily commuting to work in the truck vs. $884 per year on the bike. Savings of $4576.00 in just gas. Then the wear and tear on the bike is much less than that of the truck.

12. DavieStone

DavieStone Well-Known Member

Gas prices are up due to a few reasons...one being the value of the dollar going down tremendously. Its only going to get worse and its mostly due to the housing market.

House values are going in the toilet and going quick and its only going to get worse. The banks have a tremendous amount of foreclosures and they are in dire need of capital....hence they are dumping their existing properties here in Phx. I'm seeing houses that were worth 1.4 million going for 600k in my neighborhood for Christ's sake!

The Fed's in the last quarter will be putting pressure on the banks to dump their bad debt and with that....the houses that they are sitting on will have the price again dropped to a level that will probably pre-date 2002. It will be nothing to see a house that is worth 400k selling for 150k. It will only start a domino effect and decrease the values of the other houses around it.

Right now I am negotiating Short Sales nationwide. What it does is relieve the home owner of the debt and allows them to not have to file BK. Honestly....I see people in houses right now that owe 300k more than what their worth and its only logical for them to move on, save their credit (shown as a "paid as agree" on credit report) and start over without a foreclosure on their credit. It sucks....but anything is better than a BK.

The markets correcting and I dont see one candidate capable of handling the job. Some of you may be happy for the motorcycle industry...but the rest of the market sucks dick. Auto sales, home sales, restaurants, etc are all taking a shit and when there are no jobs, no income....I dont care how much ya save riding a bike, it wont matter.

13. SteveThompson

That means that the bike gets 6.2 times better mileage than the truck and the truck tank holds 6.2 times as much fuel. I would question both of those assumptions.

I'm not trying to be an ass, I just have a calculator sitting here and I'm bored.

14. Knarf Legna

LOL, Davie! Who sold them those mortgages that they couldn't afford in the first place? :D

15. SteveThompson

Airplane sales are fantastic. We are having a record year and are already selling stuff for delivery next year.

16. Strick

Strick Good to be king

They must get better mileage. :D

17. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Well lets see. Bike gets 40 mpg, truck gets 17 and the bikes tank is what 5 gallons vs. trucks 25 gallon tank.

18. SteveThompson

That means gas for the bike would be $2320.50 and you would have to ride it 23205 miles assuming $4 per gallon. I ride my Ducati about 800 miles a year and it still makes my butt hurt :wow: .

19. SteveThompson

They're just like scooters for the sky!

20. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

Selfish bastard, kept these revelations quiet while others suffered.