1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Motorcycle Industry?

Discussion in 'General' started by Chip, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Chip

Chip Registered

I have been talking to a bunch of people in various parts of the industry that are all seeing an increase in sales. At the dealer level, I have heard several say that they are selling every street bike that they can get a hold of. The aftermarket parts guys are seeing a reflection of all these new bike sales.

The common opinion is that although the economy has taken a down turn, high gas prices have actually bolstered the motorcycle industry.

As long as people can keep there jobs, I think that high gas prices maybe the shot in the arm that the motorcycle industry needs.

Are you guys seeing the same thing?

2. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Roger works at Waterford Precision Cycles, and they are seeing the same thing in the bicycling industry. The sales of high end bikes are up significantly. They are booked with sales for quite a ways down the road, both customs and vendor orders.

We are doing about the same as last year. I am seeing fewer SUVs and large trucks on the roads and many more motorcycles, both modern and vintage. (Guys pulling older stuff out of the garage).

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Yes, especially in scooters and 250 Rebels and Viragos.

If Honda or Yamaha can bring out a 500cc street bike with a cheapo sidecar to haul kids/groceries AND KEEP THE PRICE LESS THAN $6000, we'll be doing great!

4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

And like Alexa said, lots of old bikes being brought in to be worked on.

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

First quater 08 sales are down almost 11% Street bike sales are down just over 11%. So I would say NO

6. Chip

Chip Registered

I'll be interested to see what second quarter sales are like. The gas stuff didn't really go crazy until after march.

7. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Man is it ever!! My problem is the o.e.m's do not have anything to order. Hopefully the 09's will be on the truck shortly and we can continue on. For me personally it is a double edge sword.1. I drive 30 miles one way in a full size truck so i feel everyones pain on the gas prices. 2. The profit on small scooters and motorcycles are minimal so i really need to sell a couple of small ones to equal one big one. But overall, it is awesome to see it happening, the major concern for the riders are the lack of rider training in this area so i am pretty worried about that. We have had a few parking lot drops and a whole lot of the whole forget the pull in the clutch thing leaving the parking lot.....

8. 999

999 Well-Known Member

For immediate release!

NewsFlash. We are now closing out the 2nd Quarter of 2008.

Ends.

9. Chip

Chip Registered

One of the things that a couple of the dealers are telling me is that they are seeing a lot of customers that have never set foot into a motorcycle shop.

10. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I would think price is a huge part of that.

11. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

The guy I ordered the 17" rims from to lace on spare hubs for the YZ said they're flying off the shelves.

The Smog Test station said they're getting a lot more motorcycles through.

The MVD lady said she's seeing a lot more bike registrations (on-highway conversions, too).

The USAA lady said a lot more bikes were being insured.

12. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Without totally pulling a number out of my ass, i would say that 30-40% of the people walking through the door and calling on the phone.

13. 999

999 Well-Known Member

That's a lot of newbies!

There Will Be Blood.

14. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I am seeing the same thing locally. I have been commuting on my streetbike for 10 weeks now, it is saving me money.

My concern is the service side of things especially at the local dealer level is severely lacking and will not be able to handle the influx of bikes needing service. Not all these people buying motorcycles know anything about them. With todays advanced electronics it makes it very hard for even the experienced guy to work on his own bike in his garage at service time. I know 1st hand I have been battling FI demons and very poor factory setup on a '07 Bandit 1250 for a month now and I finally got it under control. I actually had to go get the SDS laptop from my idiot dealer and do the work myself which meant I had to learn the software over night. Thank goodness I use computers daily not sure the young guy in the back of the dealership will be that capable. To top it off my bike is still under the FACTORY warranty period and I am having to do the friggin work because two local dealers are clueless and so is Suzuki. This industry needs help in the service department. They need to spend/pay more money to keep the top level mechanics or it will all come crumbling down in time. They need to spend money on training 1st and foremost. You can buy a Suzuki here locally and your factory warranty is basically useless because NO one knows squat about the product nor do they care. I see this elsewhere also so its not a localized problem.

As for sales they will continue to grow along with the gas prices and the fatality rate from inexperienced riders coming on board. In turn the insurance industry will have a feeding frenzy, hope not but it could happen. Everyone wants a piece of the pie.

15. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Absolutely seeing that on the streets and hearing people talking. Most I talk to have bought motorcycles or are trying to figure out a way to get one financially.

The dealers I've spoke to say they are moving a ton of bikes. Bikes like the KLR650 Kawasakis are hard to come buy.

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

That is the drawback. :down:

17. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Why? I am just about 100% positive that none of you guys were born siting on a motorcycle.:p

18. bkeros

bkeros Well-Known Member

Just remember that that person was YOU at some point in the past, as well as me and every one of us....

19. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Those would be DMG's new fan base.

See, RE's evil plan is already working!!! :D

20. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Those are potential new DMG fans.....:D

Damn it you beat me to it....:)