1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why no 24 hour?

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by gpstar748, Apr 23, 2008.

1. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Sure would be cool if you could do a 12 or 24 hour event, too bad I am sure you can't get sponsors lined up to cover a big portion of the cost, and be able to offer a large purse etc...
    TV coverage would be cool

Too bad its all just a dream

2. russ#299

russ#299 Well-Known Member

...and no major sponsor.

and C Corder speak for yourself. If we got a 24 hour race in the US, who would NOT wanna say that they were a part of it?

3. Millwoodva

Millwoodva Well-Known Member

I'm sure Billy would provide you with "tires"... in trade for MR9...:up:

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I believe I have to travel over Hoover Dam to get to Vegas:p

5. Ed Sorbo

Ed Sorbo Well-Known Member

I’m working on my 24 Hour list.

For score keeping: If I build the bike, manage/own the team, crew and ride that counts as doing a 24 hour. I’ve done ten 24 hours. But I had two teams from ’88 to ’92. Team Hawaii Too was owned by me and I built the bikes but did not ride. If those races count for me then I’ve done 15.

Team Hawaii: ‘86 to ‘92 at Willow plus the ‘91 race at Nelson. Team Hawaii Too ‘88 to ‘92 at Willow. ’99 and ’00 at Willow but I can’t remember the team name. This list is from memory so might be off by a little. I even rode in a 25 hour dirt bike race once, but they don’t really race.

This is my entry into any 24 hour race WERA holds anywhere. You can see my record and decided for yourself if I will show up, clearly I’m out of my mind. WERA will pick a date that does not conflict with the other National series and I will race. The bike I’m currently racing has some mods that don’t do anything for sprint racing. I have dusty boxes on my shelves containing equipment that has only one propose.

I want to do a 24 hour at a different track maybe: Barber, Road American, Miller, Daytona, other?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Working a 24 as a rider, crew, official, corner worker, pretty much anything involved counts.

7. Ed Sorbo

It's official then, I've done fifteen 24 hour races and am looking for more. That ranks me near the top of the BBS Fool list even though I have only a few posts.

8. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I was on the crew for Paramount Racing at the last 24 hour and still am in awe that they went through at least 30 tires, a second motor, a shock, whatever gas it takes to race 24 hours plus drive to California and back to Ohio, not to mention three tires on a very overloaded trailer.

Mongo is right, there ain't enough money out there...

9. Ed Sorbo

I did the math in '88. We spent 9.5 cents per minute and that did not include airfair as each team member paid their own way.

We opened a team savings account and the riders paid in each month untill they reached that years fee. Then I used that money to cover costs.

Racing is expensive and 24 hour racing is a lot of racing. But you learn stuff you can't get any other way.

I have a hard time finding good employees. I would hire anyone who did a 24 hour race.

10. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I'll fax a cc and pre-pay a team entry the day the next 24 hour is announced. Make a list! :)

11. (diet)DrThunder

If you've ever woken up at 3:20 AM to the sound of your team mate yelling "he's coming in for a tire stop!" over the sound of bikes screaming by down the front straight at Willow, raise a glass to retar...I mean, endurance enthusiasts everywhere! :)

:beer:

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's more fun when the rider comes in, leans the bike against the wall, looks around, his shoulders drop and his head hangs as he goes in search of his crew....again....

13. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

after dealing with racers I have come to the conclusion that roughly 1/3 to 1/2 are full of shit, especially when it comes to committing to a big, expensive weekend.

that being said, I WOULD race a 24 if given the opportunity.

14. (diet)DrThunder

lol...ya we did have one 'touch-and-go' of that manner.

I don't know if anyone would remember this, but the year we were there...let's see...

Commonwealth Honda brought a way-trick Superbike-based bike, and it either exploded or was destroyed in the middle of the night (maybe it caught fire?), I forget which. I also remember that one team ran a nearly stock Yamaha Vision, and finished the race, and they weren't last.

We were #42, 'Racing Against Entropy' on an 86 GSXR750. I forget where we finished, but we finished. What an experience! This was...er...1993 maybe? Not exactly sure.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  15. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

i think a 24 hour would be totally cool........just announce it this year where you plan on having it and a general time frame of 2009 in which you intend to have it

explain if you cannot get enough pre entries 6 months in advance of the presumed date then there will be no 24 hour........make all pre entries non refundable IF there is enough by that 6 month cut off date to run the 24 hour

Im sure you already knew this but I think it wouldnt hurt to do this for 2009 and see what WERA can get rounded up??

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why go through all that when I know the answer?

17. gpstar748

shits and giggles

:D

18. gpstar748

how many teams would you need to pay the non refundable entrance fee to declare an official 24 hour to be held in 2009?

10, 20, 30??

19. Ed Sorbo

So hold it at Barber. You'll get more teams out East and it's a great track with no sand, wind or frogs like Willow and Nelson. Plus the bathrooms are nice and they have showers. Power on the pit wall so no generators blasting all night, how cool would that be?! The tires will last a long time there and wear fairly evenly. You can count on 10 teams just from nut-cases like me who like doing impossible stuff. Put it together with a National weekend to spread out the cost. We don't care what days of the week you hold the 24 on. Set up on Wednesday. Practice on Thursday all day and Friday am. Race start on Friday at Noon and finish on Saturday at Noon. Everybody takes the rest of Saturday off. Sprints on Sunday. Entry per team $1000. I'll bring two teams. Post the date this year, entry due by early '09, race sometime in '09.

20. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Are there lights at Barber?

oh yeah, count me in