1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exhaust packing material.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by circleincircle, Dec 27, 2007.

1. circleincircle

circleincircle Well-Known Member

Anyone have suggestions on where and what to buy? Its seems like there are a few options as far as exactly what materials to use. I'm repacking a graves ti can on an 05 r6, thanks.

2. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Call the manufacturer, they should sell a re pack kit for it.

3. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

or you can do like most folks, and go to any bike shop and buy muffler repacking. Stuff is only about $10-$20. Doesnt matter what kind of pipe, its all basic fiberglass packing.

4. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

The guys who make suppressers for firearms like copper mesh for it's ability to transfer heat energy: makes the can quieter. [you can buy brillo type pads at walmart]

5. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Steel wool IMO would be a bad idea.

6. piper907

piper907 Well-Known Member

I just got some FMF "premier multi layer packing" to repack an EKG system. Looks like it should hold up pretty well. The question IS... is it worth the extra 40$...

7. Cutaway

Cutaway Well-Known Member

8. circleincircle

I think this one is the ticket. I'm in Germany and still not being fluent in the language its much easier to order some things online. The one at that link looks really good and oddly enough its made right here in Germany!

Thanks for all the help!

9. vasiliy

vasiliy Squid Enthusiast

i've heard this before... what is repacking and why do you do it :)

10. chillydogg

chillydogg Active Member

11. circleincircle

^^ yep, this is the stuff that Cutaway linked to as well. I started to buy it off the website but decided to check one of the local shops despite my limited ability to speak German and sure as shit they had it right there on the shelf. I'm going to repack the exhaust this evening. It’s mostly an issue of noise for me, the Europeans are really anal about it; most tracks have a max of 95db, currently mine is around 132db....

12. circleincircle

I'm sure you've noticed the can on your exhaust is quite a bit larger than the headers them selves. There is a baffle built into the can and most of it is filled with fiberglass, steel wool or something similar for sound absorption and as a heat barrier. Over time the material can break down from heat, moisture and what not. In my case the exhaust had virtually no packing in it what so ever to begin with because it’s a racing system not really designed to dampen sound but deliver maximum performance and its damn loud, 132db actually, so I don’t have too many options aside from just buying a whole new system that is quieter. They also use something called a DB Killer here but it restricts flow more than anything and will have a significant effect on performance so repacking mine is the best alternative, I just hope it reduces the sound enough, 35+ db is quite a bit to knock out.

13. circleincircle