1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pit Bull Trailer Restraint

Discussion in 'General' started by Cuddles de Sade, Sep 15, 2007.

1. thepro8

thepro8 Well-Known Member

:eek: Looks like the front end took all the force, not the swing arm. Don't think I want to buy your bike now :crackup:

2. Chip

Chip Registered

The rear end did too....a few fractions of a second later.....and that bike was certified straight and sold a long time ago.

3. Chip

Chip Registered

Charlie Van Valkenburg (Pit Bull) is a former Aerospace engineer....believe me.....he gets it. Literally a Rocket Scientist...

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Charlie IS an ME, who is fully capable of designing and producing his own parts, If you wish to second guess, have fun, however without providing real data, you are speculating at best.

5. thepro8

All engineers and companies can make mistakes. All I'm doing is raising a concern some consumers have. The concern wasn't even something I thought of, but one of my friends and I though he made a good point http://chicagolandsportbikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61966 Now that's two people consumers that may go with another type of product. What I think is cool is that we have some people here that hopefully could give us answers to our concerns which would make us both go buy this product. Just once of the cool things about having a community like this.

Hopefully there are answers to this because if two of us had this concern after a thread that lasted a day,then I'm sure other consumers may have the same concern and I know Pit Bull would like to releave that so they get as many orders as possible.

6. G2G

G2G I feel the need

:crackhead:

:D

7. thepro8

Thanks Steve (g2g) for that amazing insightful view on this topic:D

8. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

ok...so who's got $ on thepro8 working for PowerStands?

9. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Let me add one other thing, Most of the factory teams haul their hi $$$$ bikes with a rod thru the rear axle, with no problem.
    I made some last year for Mladin Motorsports, and some this year for Marty Cragill.

I will be buying these from Pit Bull.(these are far nicer than I can build, for any money)

10. Cuddles de Sade

pfft...what do they know?!?!

11. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Yea, but did they do it 1000's of times and then check for deformities???? :D

12. Chip

Chip Registered

That would infer that Powerstanda actually engineers anything....and they don't....they just send Pit Bull stuff to china to be copied....badly.

13. Chip

Chip Registered

I can't give you the data....I don't have it. But we have been using these stands for a while and we have made several trips to California and back. We pull swingarms and inspect/replace bearings after every round. We have not seen any accelerated wear. It is my professional opinion that this is much easier on the bike than strapping it into a wheel chock with the suspension loaded.

14. KrashBandit

KrashBandit The other guy at Pit Bull

15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Chip, dude yer argu'n with an engineer.....stop it.
    Forget Logic.

16. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Anyone notice that used Pit Bull stands consistently sell for ten or twenty dollars less than retail on eBay?

There's reason for that, it's good stuff. :up:

17. Cuddles de Sade

good point Chipper, good point.

18. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

You need to go show your professor this post and ask him to explain the principle of transmissibility again. The wheel axel is designed to take the gyroscopic forces caused by the rotating wheel and transmit this moment to the swingarm. I would think these forces at 150mph will be greater than the trailer going around a curve with no (motorcycle) wheel rotation.

David

19. Chip

Chip Registered

Check! :up:

20. thepro8

I completely agree that loading the suspension is bad, that's why I want to get away from it.

This is the first post that makes be feel better about the swing arm concern. Sure you aren't measure the forces and can't give numbers, but if you are putting the bikes through an actual test and inspecting things and it's ok, then that is actual good data there. Berings are very robust and I doubt the forces would effect them so I'm assuming you are replacing them for other reasons.