1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Harley owners out there??

Discussion in 'General' started by Vinnie@proline, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Vinnie@proline

Vinnie@proline Well-Known Member

Have you ever actually seen a Hardly Ableson make 145 hp on a streetable engine.
    I am asking as I just let a bunch of guys down who spent $10000 on an engine that made 109 hp with 117ft lbs of torque. They all said that the magazines say 125hp with one kit and 145 with another. They clain they purchased the 145 kit. I tuned from 85 hp with 106 lb tq to 109.9 hp with 117ft tq. I was happy,:) they were pissed.:mad: I tried timing and went both rich and lean with no gains from original tune
    I explained that a while back there was an ad for the R1 that said 185 hp YA RIGHT. I told them that the MAGS and factories give a BS or a crank output.
    In my 9 years with a dyno I have never seen a HD make over 115 hp.
    SO WHATS THE DEAL.. HAVE you seen a HD make big numbers???

2. MidnightRider

MidnightRider Well-Known Member

Well it all depends..
    What kind of work/engine mods are we talking about here?
    What exactly would you consider streetable? Definitions of "streetable" can widely vary.
    With PC tuning and exhaust, no way. With internal motor work such as cams, boring, pistons, custom mapping, race fuel and so forth..yes. Was it streetable? That depends on who you ask. :D

3. davetlr

davetlr Well-Known Member

\
    I do a lot of tuning on HD's and that's very good. I have had some 120" strokers make 120 plus though. What kit did you install? I can prolly shed some light.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've heard of 145 at the crank. Haven't heard of it at the wheel on streetable machines.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Depends on the dyno and who's running it. Give me the right dyno and I could show you "an honest" 100 hp out of a CRF50.

6. Even Keel

Even Keel Banned

I have a 95 inch motor that puts out 110 HP and 100 llbs torque. I spent $3500 on the engine work. 2002 Twin Cam. Fuel infected.

7. Even Keel

Even Keel Banned

As an after thought, I got rid of my cool looking 2 into 2 longshots and went with 2 into 1 exhaut system. That alone added 7 hp. I won't say the name. I'm not advertising. Just saying show doesn't equal go.

8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

80cuin, 100 rwhp. Evo.

9. Vinnie@proline

Stock stroke I think they went 124ci???? a large ported head from some PRO(looked overported to me) the combustion chamber was worked as well. THAT LOOKED GREAT. (but what do I know about HD...) porting looked CNC also. They removed the 42 mm intake and installed an 06 52mm manifold from an 06 OEM model. All the parts said screeming eagle. They said 10.5:1 comp ratio and claimed the 11:1 would make a bunch more.I did not get the cam info but they said something like 88?? As I said before I tuned the PC3 USB. I have messed with some HD stuff on the dyno and have seen IGNITION make a bunch but nothing here...What do you think next ...STROKER??????
    This was on my model 250 dyno and I am a pretty good operator. All the settings were correct for Florida. I try to make the adjustments when altitude or slope changes(it is a mobil dyno). Streetable to me is STARTS WITH A 12VOLT SYSTEM RUNS FROM RED LIGHT TO RED LIGHT, IT MUST IDLE AT A NORMAL RATE AND RUN SMOOTHLY THROUGH THE RANGE. Basically not a methanol drag engine.
    After hearing thay spent 10000 on an engine I want to work on HD but I dont know if I can stop counting the money long enough to get back to work. How much do you think they spent in parts.More than Half???

10. Even Keel

Even Keel Banned

Britt is probably better at this than me, but once you start builiding an engine that big and trying to get that much hp out of it, it is a one year motor. I think they should get more hp out of 124 inch than that, but I don't know. I just know what I have for what I paid. It starts everyday, doesn't overheat and is fun to ride. I told them exactlly what I wanted and they gave me exactly that.
    Docs Harley of Kirkwood, Mo.

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

I will never tell what my 05 GSXR 1000 makes. :D

12. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

Man, that brings back memories. Memories of why I quit working on Harleys. I was a tech for many years at dealerships and would have guys come in and spend all kinds of cash on crap that Easyriders said would make the bike fast. I even put an NOS kit on a HD and it only made 120 BHP and I'm pretty sure the bottom end was not long for this world. You did a damn fine job and if they aren't happy with it tell them to remove the filler cap and drive a GSXR1000 under it, replace cap and viola a fast HD.

13. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

Funny story; we used to do a dyno shootout at our open house and we had different classes and the winners got cash. The open class was just that and we had all manner of bikes show up. One year a local drag racer brought his well built turbo charged Kawi and pulled some rediculous number. A couple guys who had just picked thier bike up from a HD specialty shop showed up and looked at the top numbers on the board and figuring that they had all the other catagories sewn up they should go for the open class (best payout). They swaggered up to the dyno and watched as thier expensive hot rod pulled about 38 BHP and almost came apart. We all had a good laugh at their expense.

14. Even Keel

Even Keel Banned

I know what it makes and it's not enough.

15. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

Tell them it's an import Dyno and it loses some in the conversion to english units...

16. areceefittywon

areceefittywon Well-Known Member

I have a bone stock Harley, Street Glide, and I just don't understand why people go through the expense and time to try and get huge HP gains on a Harley. If you are drag racing, I can kinda understand it, but most of these guys aren't. I hear guys talk about doing all this work to their bikes and getting 100/100 or more and then b*tch later on when the motor goes south. I ride my 'Glide nice and easy because that is what it was intended to do. Oh well, probably not much different the 'Busa boys turbo charging and big boring their Busa's and then griping when that motor goes south. Sorry, rambling off now :)

17. Vinnie@proline

so 80ci=95hp
    and 95ci=110
    than124ci=109 that seems too low if you ask me.
    Either way I did not build the engine. BUT I want to try to build one. Dealer cost on parts and I will give a fair rate on the labor. SO ask your friends. I would like to try something in the 95ci range with my ported heads and a cam. ANY TAKERS????? call 321 262 3447

18. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Seen a V-rod owned by a local Harley shop here in Athens Ga that they drag race that put down 145HP on the dyno. They got about 60K in the bike though.

19. Even Keel

Even Keel Banned

Did you ever hear the phrase, to each their own?

I couldn't live with bone stock 65 hp, so I up graded. Cruise at your own speed. I could never understand why people could be happy with mediocred.

20. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

The 80in motor was a friend of mines and it was a small shop built one he did, it was not a smooth idle, it was "Raunchy" best I can describe, and not fun in traffic, but fun when you hit the throttle..and on a 250I it made an honest 98-100hp depending on the day.