1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended oil

Discussion in 'Tech' started by grich575, Sep 4, 2006.

1. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

:up:
    That's what we're talkin' about: real world experience, not advertising

2. crshovrd

crshovrd Well-Known Member

aight, i'm switching....to wally world we go!

3. circleincircle

circleincircle Well-Known Member

Ok, so I've been running Motul 300v 10w40 in the 06r6... I'm pretty much sold on the rotella syn but my only question would be now is there any danger in switch since I have been running the 300v. Frankly my concern stems from the simple fact that the 300v looks and smells like nothing I have ever seen come out of an oil container and it honestly seems very, very different. Again, I'm sold on the Rotella so I'm not trying to say the 300v is better but SOMETHING is different about it and it makes me concerned about now switching over to something else.

4. Hard Corps

Hard Corps Well-Known Member

Nope just change it out.

5. FastrnU

FastrnU Well-Known Member

im sick and tired of paying my ass off for oil that i change religiously anyway...as for all the guys that have something against using shell oil for the bike, i'd just like to see some actual REAL evidence of shell falling short in any category(as long as you change your oil regularly). i've been reading and reading for the last two or three days for hours and hours and have yet to see or hear even one negative thing about shell rotella-t for a motorcycle. shoot man, im thinkin about just buying one of those barrels from sam's(someone was talking about it on the first couple pages) and running all 4 cars/trucks and 2 bikes on shell rotella-t. Until this evidence surfaces, i wont be paying almost $10 a quart for mobil1; thats like $30 in oil + $10 for the filter = $40 oil change. Rotella-T and a Scotts Reusable Oil Filter...:up:

6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I am using Mobil One (was now) I switched brands though. I haven't heard or read anything about it but its called Panolin.

7. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

1. There is no real evidence that the Shell stuff falls short, because it doesn't.

2. Pitch that dumbass filter...utter POS. There is no good way to clean it completely, and it passes way too big stuff. Dump it.

8. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

What DDT said about the filter, dump it. I use Hi-Flo; they are about $6 a filter.

I saw Mobil 1 15w50 (car oil) at Wally Martinos last night for $23 for a 5qt jug. The Rotella is $16-$17 for 4qts so that's a pretty good price on the M1.

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I switched the ST over to the Rotella synth this weekend, I will roll up some miles and report back in a year or two. SV is running fine with it this year.

Question: What about running it in vintage air cooled engines (gs450, etc?)?

10. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Some older motors need higher viscosity (according to the manual anyway) and the synth Rotella only comes in 5W40 I believe. Aside from that it's just as good in an old motor as it is in a new one.

11. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Old GS's call for 10-40.

12. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

use the mineral based (dino), it's 15w40 & costs even less!
    My old Gixxer calls for 10w40 & loves the Rotella!

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I may just give that a try. The thought of one oil for all is very tempting, though.