1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old school WERA riders...where are they now ?

Discussion in 'General' started by RGV 500, Dec 2, 2005.

1. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Since I'm stuck out here on the left coast and can't make it to any MA region races, I'm just wondering if any of the old gang are still out there thrashing it.

If you have any details on any of these guys, please post them up

Jeff Atwell
    Glenn Szarek
    Kurt Hall
    Evan Semoff
    Rick Steffey
    Mike Hausknecht
    Rick Bair
    Jari Wallach
    Devin Battley
    Jim Roth
    Jim Tribou
    Chris Taylor
    Burke Meyers

Thanks

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Atwell raced last year at Summit
    Szarek comes out but has retired
    Kurt is working for an architect on HHI
    Evan comes out to Summit and hangs, races occasionally but only the National
    Devin still races and owns the shop
    Jim Rtoh races and is an official at Summit
    Jim Tirbou sadly died last year but was working as an official until then

Thems the ones I know for sure.

3. bdaddy

bdaddy Well-Known Member

How about Dave Bissett?

4. wera94

wera94 Well-Known Member

Aww Hell-----
    What about my man BRIAN LANTZ????:bow:

Mongo-What about ole "Crazy Check" Jerry Hughs, and A.J Cates?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  5. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

What about REAL old school- Ernie Kicklighter, Boonie Knott?

6. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

Jeff James??

7. Repo Man

Yea, Boonie had the RG500 Gamma, then there was the guy with the TZ500 Yammie - real 500 GP bikes at the WERA NC races!!

:clap: :beer:

SpeedyE likes this.
  8. 92excel

92excel Well-Known Member

no mention of Wes Cooley?

9. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Was he WERA? He was my favorite AMA racer back in the day, along with Ron Pierce. Those old Yosh Zook GS1000's were brutally awesome. I don't recall Wes Cooley running any WERA, but I was mostly east coast. Anyone remember Patrick O'Leary?

10. luke738

luke738 Well-Known Member

i'v heard my dad (luther wikle) talk about wess coley, not sure if he was friends or just raced in the same years.......i'll ask him about it

11. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

what a coincidence....i just ran into a guy named terry cook today at work....

i think he raced a (hi hp) hawk in glrra awhile back. anyone know him?

12. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

I know I saw him run at Nelson in the wet once and he was faster when it was raining than quite a lot of people in the dry.

The guy was absolutely bonkers in the wet, doing wheelies out of 13 for most of the front straight, sliding all over the place....it sure was fun to watch.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wes rode for Team hammer when we were running WERA Pro Series, Dave Aldana rode with us as well during that time.

Dunno whats up with Wes, chillin in Oregon I guess.
    Jeff James is racing an RZ out of Chicago and still teaching riders school.

No clue on Ernie or Boonie but we did run across a guy that ran the Mid-Atlantic stuff from 1976-1980 while we were in Vegas :D (Ray Hill in case anyone knows him). I told Evelyne that me being a billboard was a good thing.

Brian is a plumber here in the ATL, opened his own company a year or so ago, still riding but it's a pimped out Road King :) Haven't heard from Jerry or AJ.

14. 92excel

I think I first saw Wes at Talledega in 1987 running w/Hammer. He wasn't the fastest guy out there but he was the most famous. Everyone wanted to say I passed Wes. I think the fastest guys that day were; Kurt Hall, Human Race Team (I still have Human Race Team Stickers) and Scott Russell on the Solmax FZR 750. Poor Wes walked like Evil Kinevil or Kevin Rentzel by that time. For a little guy he could put some beer away. At the end of the day he was always real nice to us "little guys".

15. 92excel

Original Cooley Bike

I know a guy who has Wes's original Yosh GS 1000 works racer.

It is Bitch! I want to ride it in Vintage

16. 92excel

I ran into your Dad this summer at Summit Point. I had not seen him since he was endurancing in 1987. He said he quit after Russ Paulk passed away at Sears point. Your dad was riding very well and at age 42 myself he inspired me a bit to look at racing into my 50's as a possibility. Would you please ask your Father to Email me. I would like to see what he is doing for next year and just stay in touch.

Thanks, Matt Macheca

17. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I remember seeing Cooley walk around the paddock at Daytona, 1981? His leathers were puuled down around his waist and his arms were so scarred he almost looked like a burn victim. He was the toughest racer around. I still have my old black/red/white Wes Cooley ARAI helmet- foam rotted out. I wish I could get him the sign it. He is still my favorite old school racer. There was a Cycle World article a few years ago that said he is a male nurse somewhere in Oregon. His Dad is/was a politician.

18. Repo Man

Now I remember; TZ500 Was Jim Knipp...

19. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

20. rub35

rub35 Well-Known Member

Tracy, Iworked with Jim Knipp for 9 years at Greenwood Honda here in Indiana. He's working parts there still. He bought a Ducati 748 in 99' for his 40th birthday and raced it a few times, tried speedway in 03' and broke his arm and decided to hang it up for good.